Monday, May 20, 2024
spot_img
HomeBanking and FinanceBank works back down on strike threat on assurances of safety of...

Bank works back down on strike threat on assurances of safety of personnel

The Association of Senior Staff of Banks, Insurance and Financial Institutions (ASSBIFI) has directed its members to resume work immediately at their various branches after being assured of their safety.

The union advised in the event of any threat of attack by the public without visible protection, they should shut down and move to safe locations until such a time that their safety can be guaranteed.

The union said it took the decision after a meeting of its Central Working Committee to review engagements it had with stakeholders and to implement decisions reached during the meetings.

Following attacks on members of ASSBIFI, other bank workers and the destruction of several branches across various States and the failure of relevant authorities to condemn these acts of violence, the union said it issued a stay-at-home order to its members to safeguard their lives, and properties of their various organisations.

According to the union, since the order was released, there had been several engagements with different bodies and individuals to address “this ugly trend and we have received assurances that adequate security to protect lives and property will be put into place with immediate effect.”

In a statement signed by its National President, Olusoji Oluwole, the union said: “While our Members will resume at their functional branches immediately, the safety and security of their lives remain paramount to us and we continue to demand that visible and adequate security is provided in all operational areas, particularly places that are traditionally known to be volatile.

“In the event of any threat of attack by the public without visible protection, they have been advised to shut down and move to safe locations until such a time that their safety can be guaranteed.

“While our members in locations that were attacked and assels destroyed may be unable to operate, we have advised other members to assess the security situation in their environments before opening for business.

“We are concerned by the inciting and threatening statements following the initial inability of Banks to accept old N1000 and N500 notes based on instruction of the banking regulator, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

“The Central Bank of Nigeria should issue a public statement across all their various communication media on the deposit of old notes by the public as the current information is conflicting and confusing.”

Newslinedaily…Your path to credible news

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -spot_img

Most Popular

Recent Comments